Jun 6, 2017

LITREP: Lando

I had heard good things about Marvel's 'Lando' miniseries and I was bored so I decided to pick it up.

-NON SPOILER SEGMENT-
So first off the art wasn't that great.  I love the art of Legacy Volume 2, and Lando's art is quite similar, but it lacks the stylish coloring and is generally worse in every way.  The story was pretty good honestly.  I have a buncha nitpicks, but overall it worked rather well.  Lando was Lando, but the book featured several new characters who were decent.  The best character in my opinion was Lobot.  I didn't expect to see him, but he was quite terrific.  The story is rather short, but it succeeds within the time it's given.  
        I'd give it a 7/10; It was mostly good, and while it didn't quite appeal to me I can see why people would like it.




-SPOILER SEGMENT-
Now I get to complain, since most of my complaints are spoilery.  
        So it seems Disney is progressive in so many ways.  However when it comes to Imperials you'd think these characters came from the seventies.  Disney just can't seem to write an Imperial character who isn't a defector or a mustache-twirler.  Alas Timothy Zahn wasn't just ahead of his time- He was ahead of this time too, apparently.  There is a Moff who appears in this comic; Morally interesting Moffs are an endangered species.  Turns out this Moff was just another villainous type.  [sigh]
        Lobot was great.  His original backstory was he was a criminal who was turned into an organic computer as punishment for his crimes.  I honestly prefered this depiction.  His "death" was really quite touching.  It reminded me a lot of Kane Starkiller's sacrifice.  It must be said, however, that the idea of a cybernetic implant that is such a detriment to the user was very stupid.  Who designed that thing?
        Korin was literally just Professor Gryphomarn.  The panther twins offered nothing really.  They turned evil because they look scary, I guess.  You see I've never been a fan of the Dark Side being an external force of corruption.  I've always prefered internal darkness.  Seeing two otherwise good individuals suddenly possessed was jarring and weird.  
        Channath Cha was interesting.  At first she seemed like another boring Boba Fett clone, but the twist where she was Lando's former lover and helped them escape was great and surprising.  What bugged me was that the Emperor would even use a bounty hunter.  Why not use special forces, a Sovereign Protector or a Hand?  Palpatine commanded the entire Empire; There is no reason he would ever need the service of bounty hunters.

Anyway I thought the book was objectively good.  Didn't really appeal to me, but it was still okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment