Jun 1, 2017

LITREP: Jedi Search by Kevin J Anderson

-NON SPOILER SEGMENT-
Having just finished the Thrawn Trilogy I had high expectations for Jedi Search.  The trilogy by Timothy Zahn was great in many aspects and set an automatic watermark for future stories.  So, does Jedi Search compare?  I say no, it doesn't.  
       That's not to say it's terrible.  The book is okay.  I'd even say the climax was very good.  Still, that doesn't save the rest of the book.  Throughout the first two thirds I was incredibly bored.  Several plots would go absolutely nowhere while the main plot was stagnant.  The book introduces few new characters; Of them I only really liked one.
        I feel most of the book could have easily been cut out.  It accomplishes little and seems to merely set up more interesting stories.  Would I recommend it?  Eh, I'm split on it.  On one hand, most of the book is tedious.  However the ending kind of payed off for me.  
         Regardless of quality it does seem like important lore.  If you're really interested in progressing through the books like me, it wouldn't hurt to pick this one up.  It's short and has enough fun.  If you're really interested in Luke's Jedi Order then I'd highly recommend it for that reason alone.  
        Anyway, I'd give it a 6.5/10.  Despite procrastination it gets the job done in the end.  It may appeal to some, but might not be so much fun for others.  If you're just a casual fan, this book may seem like a waste of time.  However, if you're like me it will be interesting as it does contain some important plot points in the overall timeline.  



-SPOILER SEGMENT- 
        As I said earlier, many plots go nowhere.  Lando's plot in the beginning ends with nothing, only to be brought back in the end for a relatively pointless scene.  Luke's adventure will have future relevance, but within the book, it has nothing to do with the main story.  He finds two Jedi candidates and then leaves them behind for the rest of the book to join the real story.  Han and Chewie are really the center of the story, though their plot is extremely slow until they escape Kessel.  The diplomatic talks with the Caridans was a dead end, and so on.
        Back to the Caridans, how would assaulting the Chief of State not be an act of war?  The delegation just seems to leave without consequence.  How was Carida independent in the first place?  You'd think a stronghold allying itself with the Empire would be an immediate target.
        I guess it personally bothered me that there were no Imperials besides the Caridans until over halfway through the book.  In Heir To The Empire you meet Thrawn and his fleet immediately.  Part of the reason Jedi Search was so boring was because there was no clear villain for the majority of the book.
        Alas, Natasi Daala, the main villain, was really nothing interesting.  She was the most cliched evil Imperial I've seen in awhile.  You would think that after Thrawn there would be more interesting villains, but Daala was the same boring, authoritarian mustache-twirler we've seen so many times.  Also the idea of Tarkin being in a relationship with a cadet was extremely disturbing to say the least.
        I didn't find Kyp Durron really interesting at all.  I understand he was trained in Jedi powers, but how was he able to fly ships so well?  Even Han was a bit confused by the Sun Crusher's controls, but Kyp somehow handled it fine.  Remember, he lived in the spice mines since he was eight.  I highly doubt an eight year-old would receive pilot training anywhere.
        On a positive note I really liked Qwi Xux.  She was easily my favorite part of the book.  Blue Imperials are the best Imperials, apparently.  Her story was very similar to Finn's in The Force Awakens; I'll compare the two in my next article.
        The Maw was a very cool concept.  I hope to see it in the later books.  I liked how the researchers were lied to about the products they were designing.  It proves that Imperials are often good people who wouldn't just blow up a planet.
        The Sun Crusher was another cool idea.  Endless Imperial WMDs is a bit annoying but at least this one brings something new to the table.  The Sun Crusher does seem to go against the Imperial Military Doctrine; From Tarkin to Palpatine it was all about projecting force.  The Sun Crusher seems more like something Thrawn would commission.  Something to ponder I guess.  
        Moruth Doole was disturbing.  To balance this out he was also an idiot.  A shame he never dies in the book.
        One thing that kind of bugged me was how Lando sent Tymmo back to his imprisonment.  I just kind of expect the heroes to make moral choices, though this one seemed rather cruel to me.  Even worse Lando gets rich from this injustice. 
        Speaking of bugs, the scene in the mines with the spiders was really well-done and terrifying.  Han being able to see all the heated objects but the spiders being cold, and thus invisible was truly smart.  
        Daala's original strategy was a bit dubious; Even the Alliance Core Fleet had more mass.  Still, after losing the Sun Crusher the admiral should have really formed a new plan; Joining forces with the Pentastar Alignment, perhaps.  Regardless, 3 destroyers is absolutely insufficient for a guerilla campaign.
        As I stressed prior the finale was really great.  The heroes escaping with Qwi was really exciting.  The final confrontation above Kessel neatly wrapped things up.  Plus seeing Han and Chewie reunited with everyone else was quite touching.  

Anyway, I thought the book was okay.  Definitely not one of the better books I've read.  I sure hope the next book is more exciting!

No comments:

Post a Comment